MOVING CHECKLIST TEXAS MOVERS GROUP
Just before you move, you should go through the following checklist and ensure you’ve taken care of everything on it.
Have you arranged new utilities for your new house?
Have you taken final meter readings and phoned them in or will phone them in on the first day the utilities are open?
Have you informed your bank, mobile phone and any other companies who regularly bill you at your previous address of your new address?
Do you regularly contract a gardener, milk delivery, maid service or other third party services that you need to cancel?
Have you arranged a mail redirect?
Have you turned off the gas, water, and electricity, if asked?
Have you stopped all utilities, and informed any tax or local authorities of your move so that they can adjust your final bill and have it forwarded to your house?
Is everything packed, removed, binned or accounted for?
If you are leaving furniture, have you checked that there’s nothing in, underneath, behind or on top of it?
Is everything packed and clearly marked?
Have you paid, or do you have the means to pay for your new house, if required?
Have you clearly explained, or marked out any repairs required within your old house?
Have you left any manuals that you don’t need, for appliances or items you’re leaving behind?
Have you transferred things like your driver’s license, visa, passport or work permit to your new address?
Once you’ve ensured you’ve taken care of everything, you can move on to your new house knowing that you’re able to continue your life without fear of disruption, identity theft or need to contact the new occupants of the house with your problems. You’ll also be able to relax and enjoy the move itself.
6-8 WEEKS BEFORE MOVE
- Schedule movers or rental truck
- Determine furniture layout for new home
- Make an inventory of household items
- Arrange for school transfer
- Ask for doctor and dental referrals; arrange for transfer of medical and dental records
- Fill out the change-of-address card with the post office
- Clean out all closets and drawers
4-6 WEEKS BEFORE MOVE
- Get packing supplies: boxes, packing paper, tape, markers
- Use up or dispose of food, cleaning supplies, and hazardous materials
- Have garage sale/donate unwanted items
- Arrange for carpet and drapery cleaning
- Arrange for house cleaning
- Arrange for move of pets
- Arrange for move of plants
- Arrange for utilities (cancel old; start new):
- Arrange for transfer of homeowner’s/renter’s insurance
- Begin packing
- Make travel arrangements
- Request relocation package from chamber of commerce of the new town
2-3 WEEKS BEFORE MOVE
- Set aside critical documents and items you will keep with you
- Transfer prescriptions
- Change address:
- Family and friends
- Bank accounts
- Health, life, and auto insurance policies
- Credit card bills
1-5 DAYS BEFORE MOVE
- Defrost freezer
- Empty ice maker and ice cube trays in case of power shutdown Chemistry Sets
- Disconnect and drain appliances for move
- Drain fuel from power equipment
- Close out safe deposit box
- Confirm travel arrangements
- Confirm arrival time of movers/pick-up time of the rental truck
- Have payment and snacks ready for movers
- Gather and clean outdoor furniture
- Return cable box, cable modem, DSL modem if necessary
- Organize keys
- Clean house
- Finish packing
- Prepare food for moving day
- Disassemble beds
- Double-check that all cupboards, closets, dishwasher and other appliances are empty
- Give movers tour and instructions for what is being moved
WITHIN 30 DAYS OF MOVE
- Change address:
- Driver’s license
- Auto registration
- Voter registration
- Re-establish safe deposit box
- Enjoy new home!